1. MUSEUM DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR: Appointed (by District of North Vancouver) as Commissioner to the North Vancouver Museum and Archives Commission. Now providing input into ongoing operations of facilities, and to ambitious new museum complex planned for North Vancouver waterfront.
2. TOURISM LAND USE: STAVE WEST/MISSION INTERPRETIVE FOREST PROJECT: Providing strategic direction and planning services for 1) Aboriginal community involvement, 2) commercial recreation and tourism options, and 3) education/training opportunities for Recreation Master Plan. For District of Mission.
3. TOURISM LEARNING RESOURCES WRITER/EDITOR: Managed four separate projects to develop comprehensive learning resources for communities engaged in tourism community planning:
- Transforming Communities through Tourism: A Handbook for Community Champions (edition for BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon)
- Transforming Communities through Tourism: A Handbook for Community Tourism Champions (revised edition for BC)
- Cultural/Heritage Tourism: A Handbook for Community Champions (national resource)
- Aboriginal Cultural Tourism Business Planning Guide: Checklist for Success
For Tourism Standards Consortium, Aboriginal Tourism Association of BC, and the BC Ministry of Community, Sport & Culture.
4. TRANSFORMING COMMUNITIES THROUGH TOURISM—A WORKSHOP FOR COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS: Developed content and facilitated community tourism development planning sessions in Inuvik, NWT (1 day), Tofino, BC (5 days) Whitehorse, Yukon and Portage la Prairie, Manitoba (2 days). Co-facilitated Transforming Aboriginal Communities through Tourism workshops (2 days) for twelve BC Aboriginal communities and Great Spirit Circle Tour communities, Ontario. For BC Local Government Administration Program, Tourism Standards Consortium and Aboriginal Tourism Association of BC.
5. NUNAVUT TOURISM STRATEGY: Co-designed community consultation process for official territorial tourism plan. Conducted stakeholder interviews in Iqaluit and community planning workshops in Pangnirtung. Contributed to master plan recommendations. For Government of Nunavut, with J. Challis and Projects on Purpose.
6. LEARNING LEGACIES FOR THE 2010 GAMES. Served as project manager for development of website focusing on tourism-related impacts of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Created almost 100 unique instructor resources, 2010 Discussion Starters. This template was adopted for use by U.K. universities for the London 2012 Games, and was presented in Sochi, Russia for the 2014 Games. For LinkBC: the Tourism & Hospitality Education Network and BC Campus.
7. LINKBC TOURISM EDUCATION NETWORK: Led complex development process to create www.linkbc.ca, a successful model of collaboration amongst 21 colleges and universities. Served as general manager for eight years. Coordinated ongoing liaison with many tourism industry groups (including Destination British Columbia, Tourism Industry Association of BC, go2 and many regional and local destination marketing organizations). Secured funding, managed staff, and all network activities. For Capilano University (provincial host institution).
8. NORTH SHORE TOURISM CONSORTIUM—OPERATING TERMS OF REFERENCE: Coordinated 3-year planning initiative to develop a tourism development strategy and terms of reference for new private-public DMO partnership. Led consultation process and development of a common vision between a variety of stakeholders (including three municipalities, two Chambers of Commerce, large and small employer groups, hotel sector and two First Nations). For District of North Vancouver, North Shore Hotels Association and Others.
9. FERNIE DESTINATION MANAGEMENT ORGANIZATION—OPERATING TERMS OF REFERENCE: Co-facilitated a two-phase strategic planning project for the Fernie Tourism Task Force – a multi-faceted project to develop all terms of reference and funding model for a new DMO model. Coordinated consultation with local government, ski resort, accommodation sector, Chamber of Commerce and other stakeholders For City of Fernie, with Cadence Strategies and Small Planet Consulting.
10. COMMUNITY TOURISM FOUNDATIONS PROGRAM: Developed the terms of reference for successful program that support communities in tourism economic development. The CTFP provides guidance, planning support and mentorship for development of community tourism strategic plans. For Tourism British Columbia, with R. Tivy.
11. TOURISM PRINCE GEORGE—DMO STRUCTURE & MARKETING STRATEGY: Led components of project to guide complete restructuring of a destination management organization: partnership assessment and development; determination of new funding model (including hotel tax), establishment of mandate and key operating priorities etc. For Initiatives Prince George and Tourism Prince George, with Cadence Strategies
12. UCLUELET FIRST NATION TOURISM ACTION PLAN: Co-managed strategic planning process and development of community tourism strategy. Completed market assessment, gap and opportunity analysis, partnership development, implementation plan etc. For Ucluelet First Nation with S. White.
13. BC TOURISM HUMAN RESOURCES TASK FORCE PROJECT: Coordinated all logistical elements of two-year strategic planning process that resulted in a five-year industry workforce development strategy; worked with chair to manage numerous task groups, consultation process and research initiatives; coordinated development of the final report with recommendations. For Tourism British Columbia and industry partners.
14. DOIG RIVER FIRST NATION CULTURAL TOURISM & EDUCATION PLAN: Co-coordinated community consultations, regional tourism trends & opportunities analysis, business feasibility analysis, partnership development assessment etc. for a small Peace River Treaty 8 community. For Doig River First Nation, with Small Planet Consulting.
15. OUTDOOR TOURISM PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT GROUP: Served as tourism market development advisor on national sector development committee. For Canadian Tourism Commission.
16. NATIONAL AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN TOURISM HUMAN RESOURCES: Served as national judge for this competition. For the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council and the Tourism Industry Association of Canada.
17. PAT CORBETT TOURISM LEADERSHIP AWARDS: Developed awards criteria and served as judge for this provincial tourism program competition. For the Tourism Industry Association of BC.
18. COMMUNITY TOURISM PLANNING: ELEMENTS OF SUCCESS WORKSHOP: Designed and delivered this workshop for municipal government administrators:
- Tri-Cities (Coquitlam) — destination management association development
- Tourism Squamish — destination management association development
- West Vancouver – tourism strategy development
- For Tourism Squamish, the District of Coquitlam and the District of West Vancouver.
19. ABORIGINAL & CULTURAL TOURISM—GETTING STARTED THE RIGHT WAY WORKSHOP: Designed and delivered interactive presentation for community leaders. For Cariboo Tribal Council and the Department of Indian & Northern Affairs, with S. White.
20. BC MARINE TOURISM OPPORTUNITIES ANALYSIS: Coordinated research project to assess tourism employment & business opportunities in BC coastal communities. For BC Community Fisheries Development Centre, with Simon Fraser University Centre for Tourism Policy and Research.
21. DIRECTORY OF NATIONAL ECO/ADVENTURE TOURISM ASSOCIATIONS: Served as project manager for the development of this national resource guide; coordinated research tasks and production. For the Canadian Tourism Commission.
22. WHY WE NEED STANDARDS IN THE ADVENTURE TRAVEL AND ECOTOURISM SECTOR—ARTICLE: Developed and published paper in the “Global Forum for Outdoor Professionals”. For The Outdoor Network.
23. ABORIGINAL TOURISM BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT GUIDE: Managed content development and coordinated production process, while also serving as co-writer/editor for editions 1 and 2 of this national learning resource. With S. White for Aboriginal Tourism Team Canada and the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council.
24. TOURISM HUMAN RESOURCES PLANNING: Managed a number of national and international tourism HR strategic planning projects:
- Barbados Tourism HRD 3 Year Strategic Plan
- Two 3-year Strategic plans on behalf of the Caribbean Tourism Organization
- National tourism sector council planning/visioning workshop (CTHRC)
- Terms of reference for national tourism sector council, Government of Jordan
For Barbados Tourism Authority, Caribbean Tourism HR Council, Canadian Tourism HR Council and the Government of Jordan.
25. BC TOURISM: AN INDUSTRY STATUS REPORT: Coordinated project to research, source contributions and manage production for this industry overview publication. For Tourism British Columbia and the BC Ministry of Advanced Education.